Well I've been here a couple of days now, and I think I'm getting on OK. I've had lots of mini adventures, journey went reasonably smoothly, except I wasn't met at the station here in Oita, and I had to get a cab to my accomodation, which I managed with the help of some very friendly Japanese people.

Apartment is nice, quite surburban, about 30 mins walk from the city centre opposite a car showroom called Bob. Supermarket, internet cafe, 24hr noodles, 100yen shop (like a pound shop but half price!) and big electronics store are all nearby.
My housemate Jayd seems like an OK guy, not a man of many words but I'm sure we'll get on fine. I had to register as an alien today, could have been difficult but luckily there was a guy working at the town hall who graduated from Lancaster last year to help me out!
Anyway provided I survive this weekend's typhoon I'll be doing my training next week, hopefully then I'll get to meet some more people from my area, there's 3 schools in my city and lots more nearby.